We all are familiar with Windows 10, Microsoft’s latest version of Windows OS, which is at present ruling the computer industry. All thanks to its brilliant theme and a multitude of jaw-dropping features, the operating system has gathered a lot of attention from users. As a result, Millions of people have installed the OS on their PC till date.
Most of you might be using Windows 10 operating system for a long time. Still, there are many hidden tricks for Windows 10 that you’re not aware of. That’s why, we have come up with this post where we will discuss 15 best Windows 10 tips and tricks that will completely transform your Windows experience. Let’s begin:
Best Windows 10 tips and tricks
1. Unlock PC with a fingerprint
Windows 10 has a new feature called Windows Hello that lets you unlock your PC using facial recognition or fingerprint detection. This way you can add an extra layer of security to your computer.
In order to enable fingerprint detection on your PC:
- Go to Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign in options
- Scroll down until you find the Windows Hello section
- Click on Add another button under the Fingerprint option in Windows Hello
- On the new screen that appears in front of you, click on Get started
- You’ll be presented with two options in the next screen. Select PIN
- Enter your PIN to proceed further
- Now, scan your fingerprint on the fingerprint reader
This will enable fingerprint detection on your PC. From now on, you can easily unlock your Windows 10 PC using fingerprint scan.
2. Stream Media across the network
You can also stream media files from your PC to other device connected to the same network. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center
- Click on Change advanced sharing settings
- Now, go to All Network section and click on Choose Media Streaming options link
- Finally turn ON media sharing
3. Enable Battery Saver Mode
Battery Saver Mode is a useful feature in Windows 10. It maximizes your computer’s battery by limiting the apps running in the background.
Here’s how you can enable Battery Saver Mode on your PC:
- Go to Start > Settings > System > Battery Saver
- Toggle ON the button under the Battery saver section
You can also enable the Battery Saver Mode in Windows 10 by:
- Clicking on the battery icon in the notification panel and then on the Battery Saver option
4. Free up storage space by removing older OS files
It’s very rare that you’ll want to switch to older Windows versions after installing Windows 10. So, there is no use of keeping the older OS files on your PC. You should remove them to free more storage space on computer’s hard drive. In order to do so:
- Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative tools
- Tap on Disk Clean-up option
- Toggle OFF the Previous Windows installations option
5. Enable Dark theme
You can easily enable dark theme in Windows 10. All you need is to:
- Navigate to Settings > Personalization > Colors
- Scroll down until you find the Choose your app mode and then select the Dark Radio button below it
Once the theme is enabled, all the objects on the screen will be displayed in dark color.
6. Effectively monitor your PC with Task Manager
Windows 10 features an enhanced Task Manager that offers better layout and more advanced features. You can use the utility to monitor all the program and processes running on your PC.
7. Create a local account
Generally, Windows 10 requires you to create a Microsoft account to available all of its services including Cortana. However, you can also create a local account if you don’t want to use these features.
Here’s how you can create a local account in Windows 10:
- Go to Start > Settings > Accounts
- Click on Family & other people option
- Click on the option Add some else to this PC
- Enter your username, password, password hint, and then click on Next
Congratulations you’ve created a local account on your Windows 10 PC.
8. Uninstall apps from the Start menu
Windows 10 allows you to uninstall applications directly from the Start menu. All you need is to:
- Right-click on the application you want to uninstall
- Click on the Uninstall button appearing in the pop-up menu
The app will be uninstalled from your PC.
9. Resize the Start menu
You can customize the Start menu according to your liking in Windows 10. You just need to:
- Move your mouse pointer to the top border or the right border of the Start Menu
The pointer will change into arrows and you’ll be able to increase the height or width of the menu.
10. Enable ‘Hey Cortana’ voice command
In order to enable “Hey Cortana” voice command in Windows 10:
- Click on the Cortana Search bar
- Select Notebook from the left menu
- Select Settings
- Enable Let Cortana respond to “Hey Cortana” option
From now on, you can activate Cortana simply by saying “Hey Cortana”.
11. Make Cortana to respond only to you
If you want Cortana to respond only to your voice:
- Go back to the Settings in the Notebook
- Click on Learn my voice option
After this, you can speak phrases to teach Cortana your voice.
12. Send an email with Cortana
This is one of the most important Windows 10 tips and tricks for power users. You can use Cortana to send an email. All you need is to say Send an email to [Name of the person] and speak your message.
Once the email is prepared you can preview it and then send it by saying send command.
13. Use Cortana in Microsoft Edge
You can also use Cortana in Microsoft Edge to take your web browsing experience to completely new level. All you need is to:
- Open Microsoft Edge
- Go to Settings > Advanced Settings > View Advanced Settings
- Under the Privacy and Services section, enable Have Cortana Assist Me in Microsoft Edge option
14. Analyze available storage space
Now you no longer have to rely on third party tools to check how much storage space is available on your PC. You just need to:
- Go to Start > Settings > System > Storage
- Click on any drive to know how much free storage space is available on it
15. Customize your app notifications
You can also manage app notifications in Windows 10 so that you don’t miss important alerts. It’s very easy to do so. Just follow some simple steps mentioned below:
- Go to Start > Settings > System > Notifications & action
Scroll down and turn off the apps from which you don’t want to receive notifications.
That’s all we have in our list of Windows 10 tips and tricks. Stay tuned for more updates.