After years of subscribers’ requests, Netflix has added offline viewing feature to its Android and iOS app. This means that you can now download movies and shows from Netflix to watch them offline. Not only on Android or iOS device, you can also use Netflix app on Windows 10.
Are you excited to use this new Netflix offline viewing feature but unsure how to download movies from Netflix? Here’s a quick start tutorial to show how you can download movies and shows from Netflix to watch them later when you’ve no data connection.
In order to view Netflix shows offline, you need the latest version of the app on your respective device. If your device runs Android OS, be sure that it is updated to Android 4.4.2 KitKat and later. The same goes for iOS users, who need to have their OS updated to iOS 8.0 and higher.
Download movies and shows from Netflix for offline viewing
1. Open the app on your device and you have to select ‘Find Something to download’ to download movies and shows from Netflix
2. Alternatively, you can open the main menu by swiping in from the left side and selecting ‘Available for download’ option. This will display the entire offline catalog
3. Before you start downloading, you should be familiar with some of the new settings regarding downloads. You can choose to download movies and shows from Netflix on Wi-Fi, as well as download quality. For the video quality, there are two options: ‘Standard’ and ‘High’ to choose from. As you can probably assume, Standard will eat up less space while High will take up more space
4. If you’re looking for a particular title, just search it using the default search tool. If it is available for download, Netflix will gently let you know with a small popup window
5. Even after the popup window is gone, it’s quite easy to download movies and shows from Netflix. Simply tap on the download button below the movie description or right next to the title
6. When downloading starts, a progress bar will show at the bottom of the screen. Once it’s finished, a notification will appear to let you know that you’re ready to view Netflix shows offline. If you’re using Android, you’ll get a notification in the shade
7. You can access your downloaded media files by sliding in the menu from the left side and selecting ‘My Downloads’ section
8. The downloaded movies will start playing as soon as you tap on the title, whereas TV shows will open a list of everything you’ve downloaded from that particular series
9. You can also delete your downloads from Netflix app. To do so, hit the icon in the upper-right corner that appears as a ‘pencil’ in Android devices and reads ‘Edit’ in iOS devices
10. On Android, you’ll see the check boxes next to the downloaded media files. Tick the boxes you’d like to delete
11. On iOS, red colored Xs (crosses) will show next to the titles. Hit the X to delete your download file
12. On the other hand, if you want to delete all downloaded content, head over to the Settings menu by sliding in from the left and scrolling down to ‘App Settings’. Once in the ‘App Settings’, tap on the ‘Delete All Downloads’ button
This was all you need to know how to download movies and shows from Netflix. If you don’t have the app yet, install Netflix app for Android or iOS, and enjoy your favorite movies and shows even when you don’t have an Internet connection on your device.
You may also like: 10 NETFLIX tips and tricks