With people using YouTube at late night for watching some entertaining stuff after a hectic day, the abundance of white light on the screen might not feel so comfortable. However, you can now turn on hidden Dark Mode in YouTube, which makes the layout of site comfortable on your eyes during late night hours.
YouTube has a hidden dark mode that lends the website a more cinematic feel. You can switch from the usual light theme to a dark theme. Once you’ve signed into your account, you can activate Dark Theme from the main Settings menu by tapping on your profile icon at the upper-right corner of screen.
The feature is available only through Chrome and requires you to use its developer tools. However, there’s nothing more than pasting a code and refreshing the site; the process takes less than a minute. Here’s how to enable YouTube dark mode.
You Can Also Read: How to Download Complete YouTube Playlist Online
Turn On Hidden Dark Mode in YouTube
Before we start the process on how to turn on dark mode in YouTube, make sure you install the latest version of Chrome, i.e. version 57 and above. Once you’ve installed, open Google Chrome on your system and follow the steps listed below:
- Head over to YouTube and sign into your account
- Navigate to Chrome’s Developer Tools panel by pressing Ctrl+Shift+I on Windows or Command+Option+I on Mac
- Select the Console tab to turn on hidden dark mode in YouTube
- Copy and paste the below-mentioned line of code:
document.cookie=”VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE” and press Enter
- Close the Developer Tools panel and refresh the page
- The dark mode toggle switch is available in the main Settings menu at top-right corner of screen
- Toggle the switch to Activate Dark Mode
Once you turn on hidden dark mode in YouTube, you can use the website with a new black background.
Unfortunately, you’re required to reactivate Dark Mode every time you restart Google Chrome. Hopefully, Google will soon make this feature official to save you the step of entering code while using YouTube during night hours and want to make things a bit easier on your eyes.
However, if you don’t like YouTube’s redesigned site for any reason, you can move back to its old design by selecting Restore classic YouTube from your account menu.