Ever since the inception of Facebook, millions of its users are posting their day-to-day activities and thoughts on their timeline but what happens to a user’s FB account when he/she has passed away? Well, if anyone known to you has passed away then you can make an online request for the deceased person’s FB account to be removed or memorialized. In this post, we’ll provide you a guide about how to report a deceased person’s Facebook account. Read on.
Report a Deceased Person’s Facebook Account
Memorialized accounts on FB let friends or family members collect and share memories after a person has passed away. The company also helps keep the account secure by preventing other users from logging into it.
The only one who can manage a memorialized Facebook account is a legacy contact, who must be specified by the account holder.
A legacy contact can perform the following actions:
- Respond to new friend requests
- Pin a post on the deceased person’s profile
- Update the person’s profile photo and cover photo
In case the account holder has not chosen a legacy contact then the account won’t be actively cared by any other FB user after generating the memorialization request. However, if your friend has passed away without creating a legacy contact, you can still request the social media giant to memorialize the deceased person’s account.
In order to report a deceased person’s Facebook account, just open the link and fill the form. You need to fill in the basic details like the name of the deceased person and the date on which it happened. Optionally, you can also fill in the details regarding the proof of death like a link to the obituary or any other documentation about the death.
You May Also Like: How-to Guide: Declutter News Feed on Facebook with These Simple Steps
If you’re a family member then you can request to have the deceased person’s Facebook account removed instead of memorialized. All you need to do is to use Facebook’s Special Request for Deceased Person’s Account form. And you’ll need to provide the essential details of a deceased person like full name, date of death, email address, etc.
Additional Details about Memorialized Accounts
Memorialized accounts have the following key features:
- The word “Remembering” is displayed next to the person’s name on his/her profile
- The shared content of the person like photos, posts, etc. remains on FB and is visible to the people it was shared with
- Friends can share memories on the memorialized timeline, depending on the privacy settings of the account
- Memorialized profiles don’t appear in public spaces like in suggestions for people you may know, advertisements, or birthday reminders
- Memorialized accounts that don’t have a legacy contact can’t be changed
- Pages with a sole admin whose account was memorialized are deleted from FB if a valid request is raised
- No one can log into a memorialized account
So this was all about how to report a deceased person’s Facebook account.
Read more at Find Free Wi-Fi Hotspots with Facebook: How to