YouTube app is indeed a great streaming service but sometimes users experience an error message saying ‘There was a problem while playing, touch to retry’, which is truly annoying at times. And the most frustrating part is that the error won’t go away regardless of what you try.
Generally, you might face this YouTube error after updating your Android version, installing a norm RAM, or occasionally even with nothing changed in the device. This error message is one of the highly popular bugs of the YouTube Android app, which doesn’t have a solid fix till now. But fret not, as we’ve found many workarounds to fix ‘There was a problem while playing, touch to retry’ YouTube error for Android. Let’s take the plunge.
How to Fix There Was a Problem While Playing, Touch to Retry’ YouTube Error?
Restart Your Phone
The YouTube error message might be taking place due to your phone’s connectivity with the app. So, restart your Android device and then try to play video. Well, it’s the most common fix every user has tried. In case this method doesn’t work you, move on to the below solutions.
Considering the technical aspects of the error, ‘There was a problem while playing, touch to retry’ message is related to proxy settings on your Android phone or some other apps, which are causing the issue. So, below are the methods which require you to change your phone’s settings. Allow us to walk you through them.
Change APN Settings
In order to fix ‘There was a problem while playing, touch to retry’ YouTube error, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to your phone’s Settings > Mobile Data section
- If you’re having dual-sim phone, choose your data connection sim card and tap on the Access Point Names option
- Next, find the APN Protocol Under this section, choose the IPv4/IPv6 option
- Finally, tap on the Save button
And you’re done. Now, you can easily play a YouTube video on your Android device.
Read more about YouTube at How to Fix YouTube Background Playback Feature on Firefox for Android
Check Your Data Connection
Disabling your mobile data and enabling it again may solve the issue you’re facing with the YouTube app for Android. To do so,
- Navigate to the Settings > SIM Management section on your device
- Tap to deactivate your data connection sim card and then suddenly enable it again
The above fix didn’t work? Try clearing cache and data of the YouTube app along with Google play services. What follows are step-by-step instructions walking you through the process to fix YouTube error saying ‘playback error, touch to retry’.
- Navigate to the Settings > Apps > All section on your Android phone
- Hit the three vertical dots at the right side and select the Reset App Preferences option
- Locate the YouTube app and then tap on the Clear Data option and then on the Force Stop button
After doing so, restart your phone and the problem is fixed.
Change Your Network Connection
Still facing the ‘There was a problem while playing, touch to retry’ error? Try changing your network connection. Scroll down to get a closer look at the steps:
- Go to the Settings > Mobile Data section
- Select your data connection sim card
- In case your area is uncovered within 4G network, choose the 3G network
Clear App History
You can fix this YouTube issue by clearing the app history. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Launch the YouTube app and tap on the three dots icon
- Go to the Settings > Privacy section
- Under the Privacy section, you can delete both Search and Watch history of the app
In this way, you can get rid of this frustrating error.
You may also like: How to Stop Autoplay YouTube Videos on Android and iOS
Uninstall Updates and Reinstall It
YouTube is a default app on your phone. So, you can’t uninstall it without rooting. You’re only able to uninstall the new version updates. In case the recent update is showing error like ‘There was a problem while playing, touch to retry’ error then remove the updates. All you need to do is:
- Navigate to the Settings > Apps > All > YouTube section
- Then, simply tap on the Uninstall Updates option
This procedure will remove all your updates and return the app back to the preinstalled version. Now, restart your phone and try to play a video.
Remove Your Google Account
In some cases, it’s your Google account that creates issues if it’s not configured properly. Firstly, remove your account, restart your device, and add the account again. Let’s lift the hood to learn about how to fix ‘There was a problem while playing, touch to retry’ error by removing your Google account:
- Go to the Settings > Accounts > Google section on your Android device
- Tap on your Email ID
- Now, tap on the three-dotted menu and select the Remove Account option
And that’s it! Enjoy playing your favorite YouTube videos on your Android phone in a hassle-free manner.
Disable WiFi Manual Settings
If none of the above solutions worked for you, check your WiFi settings. To fix the YouTube issue, you need to:
- Go to the Settings > WiFi Settings section on your smartphone
- Then long tap on the connected WiFi network. A pop-up menu will arise. Select the Modify Network option
- Now, check the status of the Proxy Settings section
- Make sure that the Proxy Settings are set to ‘None’, not ‘Manual’
Open the app and check whether you can play videos or not. In case the issue still persists, move on to the next fix.
Use Google DNS/Open DNS Settings
By default, you make the use of the ISP provided DNS servers that resolve the DNS information of your queries. But occasionally, it’s feasible that the ISP’s DNS blocks some websites or the search engine Google itself blocks some sites in that DNS servers, resulting in no one is able to access the particular domains from that DNS route. So, you can change the DNS servers to Popular Open DNS or Google Public DNS servers. Here’s how to fix error while playing YouTube:
- Navigate to the Settings > WiFi Settings section
- Long tap on the WiFi network you’re using. Afterward, select the Modify Network option from the pop-up menu
- Tap on the Show Advanced Option button
- Now, under the IP Settings section, change the settings from DHCP to Static
- Do not change Your device’s IP address, just configure the DNS1 address to 8.8.8 and DNS2 to 18.104.22.168
- Finally, tap on the Save option
These DNS addresses are for Google DNS. If you’re using Open DNS, follow the same steps, except the DNS address. For Open DNS, change DNS1 to 22.214.171.124 and DNS2 to 126.96.36.199.
Do inform us down in the comments section which fix is worked for you to solve ‘There was a problem while playing, touch to retry’ YouTube error. And also, share some other solution that you might have applied and worked. We’ll surely include that in our post.