Instagram has long been a massively popular social media platform to share photos and videos on your friends’ feed and profile grid. One of the core features of Instagram is its Stories feature, which further boosts its popularity. According to the company, more than 200 million people use Instagram Stories every day.
Instagram’s photo story feature allows you to post a bunch of photos that play like a slideshow. And after 24 hours, those photos disappear.
With so many users out there, we took the time to try out a ton of tips and tricks to find the cream of the crop – 17 hidden hacks to use Instagram Stories that work well and add a significant level of usefulness to your Instagram experience.
How to Use Instagram Stories Like a Pro?
How to Add Even More Colors to Your Instagram Story?
Instagram Photo Story feature is a superb place to show off your brand’s personality, but it’s essential to keep things steady by making use of your brand colors. But what it the app doesn’t provide you with your brand colors in its color presets? Fret not as we have a hidden trick to help you access every color for your Instagram Stories. To do so,
- Hit the ‘Aa’ icon or Pen icon at the upper-right side of the screen to open the text or brush tool respectively
- Now, open the color slider by tapping and long holding one of the default color options at the bottom side
- Swipe across the color slider to select a custom color
How to Create a Drop Shadow Effect on Your Text?
Want to add a little flash to your Instagram Story? If so, use this hack to add a drop shadow effect on your text:
- Hit the ‘Aa’ icon in the upper-right corner and type your message
- Tap the ‘Aa’ icon once again and use a different color to write out the exact same message
- Arrange the top layer of text so that it’s slightly off-center from the bottom text layer
How to Zoom In and Out of Instagram Stories Video with a Single Finger?
The next secret hack among our tips to use Instagram Stories is for zooming in and out with a single finger. To do so,
- Open the Instagram Stories camera by swiping right from your home screen
- Hold down the Capture button with one finger to start recording your video
- Now, you’ll need to slide up or down with the same finger to zoom in or out respectively
How to Hide Others’ Instagram Stories?
One trade-off using Instagram Story feature is that your favorite account’s stories may get lost in the masses, especially if you follow thousands of users. Luckily, there’s a hidden trick to hide irrelevant Stories from your feed. Here’s how:
- Upload your Stories by tapping on the Home button
- Go to the top of your feed where the stories are
- In order to hide an account from your feed, firmly hold down your finger on that account’s picture, then choose the ‘Mute [user name’s] story’ option from the pop-up menu
Read more at How to Post Instagram Photos from Computer
How to Upload Instagram Stories That Are Older Than 24 Hours?
In order to use Instagram Stories like a pro, make your story older than 24 hours. You can use Later app to do so. Here’re the steps:
- Download the free Later app for Android or iOS
- Now, upload a photo or video to your media library from your system
- Once you’re all set to post to Instagram Stories, open the Later app on your phone, navigate to the Media Library, and tap on the Ellipsis button in the upper-right corner and select Save to Camera Roll option to save the photo or video to your Camera Roll
- The app saves your photo or video as the current time and date when you download it from your media library to your phone
- Finally, launch the Instagram app, open Camera by swiping right from your feed, and then swipe down to select your recently saved media item from the image picker
How to Go ‘Hands-Free’ While Recording Instagram Stories?
If you use Instagram Stories every day then you’re aware of the fact that having to press-and-hold to record a video can be a bit of an annoyance. Fortunately, earlier this year, the social media app added the new ‘hands-free’ option for video recording. Allow us to walk you through the simple steps:
- Open the Stories Camera by swiping right from your home screen
- Next, swipe through the options available at the bottom of the screen until you find the hands-free recording option
- Start recording by tapping on the Record button at the bottom of the screen
- In order to stop recording, you can either let the maximum video recording time run out or tap on the circle again
How to Mention Other Instagram Accounts in Your Stories?
One of the biggest advantages to use Instagram Stories over Snapchat is that you can actually mention/tag other accounts in your story. Scroll down to get a closer look at the steps:
- Hit the ‘Aa’ icon at the upper-right side of the screen to add text
- Write the @ symbol followed by the username of the account you want to tag
- A pop-up menu will arise, allowing you to select the account you’d like to mention
How to Create a Selfie Sticker on Instagram Stories?
It looks like the social media platform is introducing a new sticker pack almost every week, but the hidden within the latest update is selfie stickers. This feature makes your selfies a sticker that you can edit and save for later use. To use Instagram Stories in a fun way, follow the steps below:
- Tap on the Sticker button at the top of the screen and choose the Camera option
- Take a selfie
- Now, you can place the selfie sticker on your selfie. In case you tap the sticker, it will create a circular border around it. Tapping on it again will disappear the border
You may also like: 6 Hidden Instagram Features to Make Photo Sharing Easier
How to Create a Solid Color Background for Instagram Stories?
Another way to use Instagram Stories like a pro is to use this color-fill trick. The hack comes handy when you want to share a canvas with text and drawings instead of a photo or video. All you need to do is:
- Tap on the Pen icon and select a color
- Tap and hold on the screen for a few seconds until the screen is filled with a solid color
How to Check How Your Instagram Stories Are Performing?
Are you looking to know how your Instagram Stories are performing? Explore this little-known hack to check out who’s paying attention.
- Open your story and swipe up on the screen
- The app will show the number followed by the names of users who have seen each photo or video in your story
Don’t miss out: 12 Cool Instagram Tips And Tricks to Make the Most Out of it
How to Download Your Instagram Stories to Your Camera Roll?
To use Instagram Stories in a new manner, you must be aware of the fact that you can download them to your Camera Roll. Let’s lift the hood to learn about how to do so:
- Open your story and swipe up on the screen
- Hit the Arrow in a Circle icon at the top-right side of the screen
How to Hide Your Instagram Stories from Specific Users?
There’re many reasons when you want to hide your Story from some users. Thankfully, it can be done. Here’s how to use Instagram Stories like a pro while hiding them from particular users:
- Go to your Profile and tap on the Ellipsis icon on Android or the Gear icon on iOS to access Options
- Under the Account section, tap on the Story Settings option
- Hit the Hide My Story From option and choose the people you want to hide your story from
- Finally, tap on the Done button
How to Skip, Pause, and Go Back While Watching Instagram Stories?
If you use Instagram Stories on a daily basis then you’ll be known with the fact that the top of your feed gets a little crowded if you follow a dozen of account on the platform. What follows are step-by-step instructions walking you through the process to skip, pause, and go back while watching stories:
- Tap on the Right side of the screen to Skip ahead of the next part of a story while watching it
- In order to pause a story while watching it, simply tap and hold on the screen
- Tap on the screen’s Left side to Go Back to the previous photo or video while watching a story
How to Add Snapchat-Like Filters to Instagram Stories?
Stories lets you add augmented reality filters to your photos, just like Snapchat. To do so,
- Navigate to Stories
- Tap on the Smiley Face icon in the lower-right corner
- Once done, you’ll be accompanied by an assortment of filters
- Simply tap on the filter you like
How to Reply to Instagram Stories with a Photo or Video?
Earlier in this month, the social media tycoon added photo and video replies to Stories that lets you comment on stories with words, photos, and videos. To use this secret hack, walk through the steps below:
- Tap on the Camera button while watching a story
- Capture a photo, video, or boomerang, and add any creative tools you like
- Once you hit the Send button, you can continue with watching stories
- You can see replies to your story in your inbox as always. Photo and video replies are highlighted in blue and disappear once you use them
Also recommended: You Can Now Use Photo and Video Replies for Instagram Stories
How to Save Your Stories Forever?
Love to use Instagram Stories and want to save them forever? If so, use this little-known hack to save them forever:
- Open your story
- Hit the three dots icon in the bottom-right corner of a photo or video
- Next, tap on the Save Photo option
- Under the Camera section, slide the Always Save Photos and Videos option on
Alternatively, you can also tap on the Gear icon while you’re on the Story screen and slide the Always Save Photos and Videos option. Now, every time you create a story, all pictures and videos will automatically be stored to your camera roll on your smartphone.
How to Add Geotags to Stories on Instagram?
You can also add geotags to your stories. Here’s how to do so:
- Tap on the square Happy Face icon at the top-right side of the screen to get stickers
- Now, you’ll see a location sticker
- Once you tap on it, you’ll see a list of options
- In case you are unable to see your location, you can search for it
These were our hidden hacks to use Instagram Stories like a pro. Which hack did you find the most useful? Share your thoughts with us via the comments section below.