Snapchat has added a Snap Map feature that allows you to track other users on a map. For some users, it’s a worthwhile addition while others find it a borderline creepy. If you’re also worried about being tracked, here’s how to turn off Snap Map feature in Snapchat.
Given that the social media network has access to your phone’s location services to provide you with geo filters, it knows your exact location. It even uses Actionmojis and cartoon caricatures based on Bitmoji to show the kind of activity you’re doing.
With Snap Map, your current location is being shared with everyone in your Snapchat circle. And the location is refreshed every time when you open the app.
In this tutorial, we’ll provide you a step-by-step guide to turn off Snap Map feature. Let’s get started.
Turn Off Snap Map Feature
- Open the Snapchat app on your phone
- From the camera screen, pinch in as you’re zooming in to open the Snap Map
- Tap on the cog wheel icon in the top-right corner
- Under the Settings section, enable the Guest Mode to turn off Snap Map
And that’s it! From now on, your friends won’t be able to see you in Snap Map anymore, though you’ll still be able to see your friends’ location. However, this doesn’t prevent Snapchat from accessing your location data. In case privacy is your utmost concern, you’ll need to disable location permissions given to Snapchat from your phone’s internal settings. Remember that after doing so, you’ll not able to use any of the Snapchat’s geo filters. Here’s how to disable location permissions on your device.
Read more at How-to Guide: Use 3D Stickers in Snapchat Videos
Disable Snapchat’s Location Permissions
- Navigate to your phone’s Settings menu. Scroll down and Under the Apps section, select Snapchat
- Tap on the Permissions option and disable the slider next to the Location option
If you own an iPhone or iPad, follow the steps below to disable Snapchat’s location services.
- Open your phone’s Settings menu. Scroll down and tap on the Apps > Snapchat button
- Change the Location setting to Never
In this way, you can turn off Snap Map feature to stop Snapchat from knowing your location. What do you think about the feature? Have you ever used it? Share your thoughts with us via the comments section below.
You may also like: How to Use Snapchat Stories Search Feature