VLC is one of the most popular media players that helps you play various multimedia formats as well as audio CDs, DVDs, and other streaming videos. Widely known as VideoLAN Client, the utility has a simple and intuitive UI with no superfluous controls and is packed with many powerful features including the ability to record your computer screen. In this post, we’ll tell you about how to use VLC as a screen recording tool on your desktop. Read on.
If you want to play your favorite media files in any format, download VLC media player now!
Use VLC as a Screen Recording Tool
VLC player has a built-in recorder option that is capable of recording videos quickly. So, if you want to record a game play video or any other media, just go through the steps below to know how to use VLC as a screen recording tool.
- Firstly, launch VLC media player on your desktop
- Now, click on the View tab and select the Advanced Controls option from the drop down menu. You can see some additional controls that are being shown on the VLC player
- Go to the Media tab and then, click on the Open Capture Device. This will open up the media dialog box
- From the Media Dialog Box, set the Desktop as your desired capture mode and then you can simply choose the ideal frame rate for your desktop
The default frame rate is 1 fps, which won’t appear very smooth for recording videos. You can set a higher value if you want to, but 10-12 fps will be fine for screencasts.
- Next, click on the Play button and VLC will start showing your desktop
- Click on the Record button to start recording
- You should preferably minimize the VLC window so that it doesn’t show up in your screencast
- Once you’re done, you can restore the VLC window and then, click on the Record button again to stop recording
VLC will automatically save an AVI file in your Videos folder, which you can then share with others.
Don’t miss out: 12 Best TV Remote Apps for Android 2017
Before you get all excited about this VLC screen recording feature, here are some of the limitations you should know.
- You cannot use your voice in your screencast. To add audio in your screencast, you’ll need to record your voice separately and stream that audio file along with the desktop recording. If you click on the recording button, it will save the audio along with the screencast.
- The second limitation is that you can only record your complete desktop in RAW format. There is no other way to record a small portion of the desktop. This leads to enormous sized videos even for relatively short screencasts. For smaller videos, you will have to compress your video using H.264 or WebM
You May Also Like: Five Ways to Download YouTube Videos for Free