There’s always a possibility that someone can obtain your password and log into your social account. And Facebook is no different. Hackers can breach a Facebook account in different ways. Apart from your personal information and photos, spammers also gain access to your banking information once they have taken over your fb account. Thankfully, there’re a few things you can do to fix a hacked Facebook account.
Before we get started, it’s best to know how to prevent would-be hackers from accessing your account. Setting a strong password, avoiding spam, and increasing your privacy are just a few methods that can help safeguard your account. Read on to learn more.
Fix a Hacked Facebook Account
How to Check If Your Facebook Account Has Been Hacked?
If you worry that your fb account has been hacked, there is a simple way to check. Click on the arrow in the upper-right corner of your Facebook page. From the appearing menu, select the Settings option. A new menu will arise. Choose the Security and Login option and then click on the Where You’re Logged In option.
Once done, you’ll be presented with a list of all devices that you’ve logged into along with their locations. In case there’s a login you don’t recognize, chances are your fb account may have been hacked. If you see anything that isn’t you, click on the Not You? option at the right side of the screen.
Then click on the Secure Account option. Facebook will then walk you through the steps of securing your account after running a diagnostic on your account. Click on the blue Get Started button.
Read more at How to See Who Viewed Your Facebook Profile Recently
Other Signs Your Facebook Account May Have Been Hacked
Here’re some other ways to tell if your Facebook account has been hacked:
- Your name, birthday, password or email has been changed
- Messages have been sent from your account, but you didn’t write them
- Friend requests have been sent out to people you don’t know
- Your timeline has posts that you didn’t post
How to Keep Your Facebook Account Safe?
Facebook is chock-a-block with security features to keep you safeguard from cyber attacks. All you need to do is just activate them. Open Facebook in the web browser of your choice and navigate to the Settings > Security and Login > Setting Up Extra Security section. From there,
- Turn on login alerts so that you receive notifications when your account is logged into. This will help you catch a hijacker early before any major damage is done
- Enable two-factor authentication and then select an extra layer of security from the list
- Select your trusted contacts and add a few close friends or family members who can help you unlock your account if it ever becomes hacked
With the above-mentioned steps, your Facebook account is much harder for a hijacker to get into and much easier to recover if it has ever been compromised.
Let’s lay down the steps for you to fix a hacked Facebook account.
How to Fix a Hacked Facebook Account?
- Navigate to the https://www.facebook.com/hacked link and click on the blue button that reads My Account is Compromised
- Enter your email password or phone number to search your account
- Once done, click on the Search button
- Facebook will show the account that matches your search credentials
- Enter your account’s password
- Chances are you don’t know the password as the hacker has changed it. So, a page will pop up telling you that you entered a wrong password. You need to click on the Reset My Password button
- Given that your Facebook account has been hacked, so your primary email may be replaced with the hacker’s email. Click on the no longer have access to these? link
- Now, you almost got your hacked Facebook account back. Enter your new email address that you want to send the change password link
- Follow the next on-screen steps carefully and you will have your account back in 24 hours
In this way, you can fix your hacked Facebook account. It’s recommended to use a random set of numbers, symbols, and letters while setting your new password.