Chrome Search Today is a browser hijacker that has spread like wildfire into computers. It’s a type of potentially unwanted program (PUP) inflicting changes to your system’s web browser settings such as default search engine, new tab, and home page, among others. The hijacker can redirect your browser search, gather your confidential data, and even sell it for advertising.
Usually, Chrome Search Today comes bundled with other free programs that you download from the Internet. Thus, it entered your system without your knowledge and can cause a serious damage to your PC. When all said and done, you definitely want to get rid of this dodgy adware. Well, what you want is described in this virus removal guide. Here, we’ll take you through a quick-witted journey on how to remove Chrome Search Today virus (Nov. 2017 update). Here we go.
You can fix Chrome Search Today virus either automatically or manually. Let’s discuss them one by one:
Remove Chrome Search Today Automatically
- Download and install UnHackMe on your computer
- Once installed, UnHackMe starts scanning for malware automatically
- After the completion of the scanning process, you’ll get a list of detected malware
- Simply click on the Remove button next to Chrome Search Today
And that’s it! In this way, you can remove this harmful hijacker from your system.
Remove Chrome Search Today Manually
- First of all, check all shortcuts of your browser on your desktop, taskbar, as well as in the Start menu. You need to right click on your shortcut and change its properties
You can find Chrome Search Today at the end of shortcut target (command line). Simply remove it and save changes.
- Explore the list of installed programs on your PC and uninstall all unknown, recently installed programs
- Launch Task Manager and close all processes associated with Chrome Search Today
- Now, examine the Windows services. Press Win + R key combination. A pop-up window will open. Just type services.msc and click on the Ok button
- You’ll be presented with a new window listing all services. Just disable the services with random names or contain Chrome Search Today in their name or description
- Press Win + R hotkey once again and type taskschd.msc. Click on the Ok button to open Windows Task Scheduler
- Next, remove any task related to the hijacker. And disable unknown tasks with random names
- Press Win + R hotkey, type regedit.exe, and click on the Ok button to clear the Windows registry from Chrome Search Today virus
- A new window will open. You need to find and delete all keys/values containing Chrome Search Today
- Right click on the browser’s shortcut on your desktop and select the Properties option
- Under the shortcut section, delete everything after chrome.exe next to the target option
- Click on the Ok button to save changes
- Once done, restart your Chrome browser
The process will remain the same for Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. Also, clear your temporary files and browser’s cache.
You may also like: How to Fix Android Battery Drain Issues with 5 Easy Tricks