Encrypting files on an Android device is one of the best ways to keep your files safe from being stolen. Even if they get stolen, an unauthorized user would have to try hard reading or accessing encrypted files as long as they are not decrypted using a proper key. On the other hand, decrypting a file will convert it back to its original form. In this article, we’ll tell you about how to encrypt and decrypt files on Android device. Read on.
Encrypt and Decrypt Files on Android
The default Android system offers you an option to encrypt your complete device, but if you’re planning to encrypt the selected files only, then you’ll need a third-party app to do so. Follow our complete guide to encrypt and decrypt files on Android.
Encrypt Everything on Your Android Device
One of the most comprehensive encryption methods on your Android device is to perform a full-disk encryption. While doing so, you will lock your Android device behind a password and PIN.
Don’t miss out: 8 Best MP3 Downloader Apps for Android
Follow the steps listed below to know how to encrypt everything on your Android device:
- First of all, head over to Settings > Security > Encrypt phone
- If you’re using Android 7.0 or higher version, you may find that this option isn’t available. An alternative location for this is going to Settings > Storage > Phone storage encryption
- Also, there is a third possibility and that is when you need to unlock developer options to encrypt your phone. To turn it on you’ll need to navigate to Settings > About > Software information > More and then tap on Build number 6-7 times to unlock Developer options
- While navigating to Settings > Developer, you’ll find the option to Convert to file encryption. Just back up your data because this will remove everything on your Android device
Encrypt Specified Files on Your Android Device
In order to encrypt specific files on Android, you will need to use the Andrognito 2 app, which uses the 256-bit encryption algorithm to securely protect your files.
Here’s how you can encrypt files using the Andrognito 2 app:
- Go to Google Play Store and download and install Andrognito 2 on your device
- After installing, launch the app
- When you launch the app for the first time, you’ll need to enter your name and a four-digit PIN that will secure your files. Once you’re done, you can tap on the arrow to proceed further
- Next, you need to enter the four-digit PIN again to confirm it. Tap on the arrow icon to continue
- On the next screen, you’ll be asked to create a security question as an extra layer of security. So, you’ll need to type the question and its answer in the given fields, and once done, tap on the arrow icon to move ahead
- At this step, you’ll need to create a vault to put your encrypted files in. Just type a name for the vault along with a four-digit PIN. And then, tap on the pink icon, and you will move to the following screen
- At this point, you can now start adding files to the vault for encryption. Just tap on the “+” icon on your device’s screen and select either All Files, Images, or Videos to be encrypted
- Next, tap and hold a file for the encryption option to show up. Please note that you can select multiple files to be encrypted all at once. Once you’re done with your selection, simply tap on the lock icon given in the top-right corner of your device’s screen to encrypt those selected files
- You can see the orange check icon on your device’s screen when the files are successfully encrypted
- You’ll see that the selected files have been encrypted using a military-grade AES 256-bit encryption algorithm. If an unauthorized user gains access to these files, they will not be able to read them unless they have the proper key to encrypt files
If you would like to decrypt files on Android, you can also do it using the same app. Read on to know how to do so.
Decrypt Files on Android
- First of all, launch Andrognito 2 from your app drawer
- Next, enter your four-digit PIN to access your encrypted data
- Tap and hold the file(s) that you want to decrypt and then tap on the unlock icon given in the top-right corner of your device’s screen. It will decrypt the selected files for you
As you can see that your files are now decrypted and they are no longer a part of your vault. Please note that they can now be accessed as normal files just like you were accessing them before. So this was all about how to encrypt and decrypt files on Android.
Check out the video displayed below to know more about Andrognito 2.
You May Also Like: How to Take Photos with Fingerprint Scanner on Android Device