Instagram is making it even easier to remain up to date with the interests, passions, hobbies, and communities you care about. Starting today, you can follow hashtags on Instagram in the same way you follow individual accounts. This means any images or posts marked with a hashtag you follow will show up on your Instagram feed.
Hashtags on Instagram have always been used to tag photos as per their location, theme or content. Despite the fact that hashtags can help your photos get more eyeballs, it’s a high-effort, low-reward exercise. Until now, you have to tap on or search for hashtags to find images, videos, and brands you like.
The Facebook-owned app is providing a genuine incentive to adorn your filtered photos with hashtags. Instead of digging through the Explore tab or search results, you can now see the best #Slime videos or #FloralNails tutorials regardless of who posts them.
According to recent reports, once you decide to follow a particular hashtag, Instagram will make use of its algorithms to ‘pick and choose some of the highlights’ from posts that include the hashtag you follow. For instance, if you’re a fan of beautiful city pictures, you can follow the #NYC tag and see the top posts featuring that hashtag.
Read more at 2 Easy Ways to Add Music to Instagram Stories
Quite eager to know how to follow hashtags on Instagram? Allow us to walk you through the simple steps.
Follow Hashtags on Instagram
- Launch the Instagram app and tap on the Search tab at the bottom of the screen
- Type a hashtag you want to follow in the Search bar and ensure that the ‘Tags’ tab is selected
- You’ll be presented with a pop-up telling you about this new Instagram feature. Just tap on the Got it option
- Once you select a hashtag, tap on the blue Follow button at the top of the screen
- Now, you’ll see top posts from the hashtag you follow in your main feed
- In your Stories bar, you’ll also see some of the latest stories that have the followed hashtag
- If you want to see a list of all the hashtags you follow on Instagram, navigate to your profile page and tap on the Following option
- Next, tap on the Hashtags tab
- A list of the followed hashtags will appear. You can tap on the Following button next to the hashtag you want to unfollow
In this way, you can follow hashtags on Instagram. However, this change will require some smart filtering by Instagram to prevent spam or offensive content from being distributed by hashtag following. So, the company will use automated and manual systems to flag inappropriate posts and block their authors, weeding out spam and objectionable content.
In case you want to find out more hashtags to follow, you can check out the hashtags that other people follow by navigating through their profiles. It’s worth notable that your followed hashtags are visible to everyone else. However, if you’ve set your Instagram account to private, the hashtags you follow will only be visible to your followers.
You may also like: 17 Hidden Hacks to Use Instagram Stories Like a Pro