In this techno-digital era, almost every computer operating system is susceptible to malware and Apple’s macOS is no exception. There are copious types of malware attacks and many of them may go undetected by security scanners on your machine. As a result, your Mac may take ages to load programs, shut down, and more. In this post, we’ll guide you on how to detect and remove malware from your Mac. Read on.
What is Malware?
Malware is a malicious software that endeavors to infect your computer. A malware attack can steal your confidential information such as passwords, banking details, and more and then send it to hackers for different purposes. Malware is also known as ‘Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)”. Types of malware incorporate viruses, browser hijackers, phishing, adware, rootkits, spyware, Trojan horses, ransomware, spyware, and rootkits.
Where Malware Comes From?
Malware usually gets access to your Mac through the Internet and emails, though it can also gain access via hacked websites, free subscriptions, music files, game demos, software, toolbars, or anything else you download from the web onto your device. Malware is hidden in the form of antivirus programs and use your system resources without your consent and knowledge.
Enough talk, let’s walk you through the Mac malware removal instructions.
Detect and Remove Malware from Your Mac
You need to download and install Malwarebytes to remove malware on your Mac. Here’s how to do so:
Install Malwarebytes for Mac
- Follow the link to download Malwarebytes for Mac
- Find the ‘Malwarebytes-Mac-3.x.y.zzz.pkg’ file in your Downloads folder
- Once found, double-click on the said file to open the installer
- Follow the installer instructions to complete the installation
Don’t miss out: 5 Useful Tips to Speed Up Mac
Run Malwarebytes to Get Rid of Malware from Your Mac
- Click on the Malwarebytes logo in the menu bar at the top of your device’s screen
- A drop-down menu will appear. Click on the Start Scan This will start scanning your Mac for malware, viruses, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs)
- The scanning process may take a while to complete
- Once the scan is finished, Malwarebytes will notify you of the scan results. Alternatively, you can see the scan results by clicking on the Open Malwarebytes button in the menu bar
- Next, click on the Scan option on the left side of the Malwarebytes window
- In the Confirm Threats Remediation window, ensure that you want to remove all the checked programs. Once done, click on the blue Confirm button to remove malware from your Mac
- Clicking on the Confirm button will delete all the selected files from your device. After deletion, you’ll see the results window. All detected malware should now be chucked out from your machine
And that’s it! In this way, you can remove malware from Mac OS X. If you have any questions at all, don’t hesitate to ask us in the comments section below.
More from NextGeekers: 5 Best Mac Antivirus Programs 2017 You Should Know