Using Twitter to increase your network but don’t want unwanted connections? Perhaps you followed someone on Twitter once but now they don’t seem to be much useful (or rather seem annoying in some cases). If that’s the case, you better not see any activity from them in future. Walk through the post to learn how you can remove followers on Twitter on your computer and smartphone.
Note: Unlike Facebook, unfollowing someone on Twitter doesn’t mean they can’t see you. It only means that you won’t have to view their activities or tweets. If you want to keep yourself invisible to any of your followers, you’ll have to block them on Twitter.
Remove Followers on Twitter Using Desktop
Twitter’s desktop version involves their site https://twitter.com/. Use your browser to navigate to the link, and follow the instructions below to remove those you don’t want to see from now on:
- Sign in to your account if you aren’t already by filling your login credentials (your username/email ID connected with your Twitter account and your password) into the login field
- Navigate to the left side of the Twitter feed, and click the “Followers” option below your profile image
- Select the user you want to unfollow and click the button saying “Following” next to their name. (When you hover your mouse cursor over this button it will change to “Unfollow”)
- Once you click this button, it will change to “Follow” indicating that you have unfollowed this person
If you want not to share anything with this person anymore, you can get visible to them by blocking them. To do that, click the “More option” gear on the left of the “Follow” button and select the “Block [username]” option. Confirm your decision by clicking “Block” when prompted. This person cannot see your activities and posts from now onwards, nor can you see theirs.
More at NextGeekers: How to Easily Bookmark and Share Tweets like a Flash
Remove Followers on Twitter using a Smartphone
- Launch the Twitter app on your device
- Go to your profile by tapping the person-shaped icon in the bottom-left corner of the display
- Tap the “Followers” option right below your profile image and username
- Tap the blue, person-shaped icon with a tick sign next to the username that you want to unfollow
- This icon will change to the white color having a + sign. This indicates you have unfollowed the person
However, if you want to block the person, you can do so by tapping their username. You will be taken to their profile page. Tap the “gear” icon next to their profile picture. Select “Block [username]” option from the appeared list and click “Block” to confirm when asked.
Why would you want to unfollow or block someone on Twitter? Have you ever been blocked on Twitter? Share your views via the comments section below.
You may also like How to Turn off Location Sharing on Twitter for Android and iOS